• Italiano
  • English
   Book now
Arrival
Nights
Rooms Guests  
San Pietro
Pantheon
Santa Maria Maggiore
Castel Sant'Angelo
Monti Esquilino
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Colosseo

 

 

Tours

Just a little suggestions for your walking tours nearby Aldebaran Bed and Breakfast

Tour itinerary 1

Coliseum

It is a marvellous architectural complex that doesn't find examples in Roman art. Its real name is Flavian Amphitheater. It was built in 72 A.D. by an unknown architect.
The Coliseum rises among the Palatine hill, the Celian hill and the Oppian hill. Its construction was begun by Emperor Vespasian and was completed by his son Titus in 80 A.D. At first, in the amphitheater, gladiatorial shows, consisting in fights to the death between men and beasts, took place: it is there that, later on, the first Christians were cruelly killed by beasts. Afterwards the Coliseum was neglected, which provoked its rapid deterioration. Pope Benedetto XIV's edict consecrated it to the memory of the Christian martyrs, putting an end to its slow destruction. In 1808 it was restored by Pope Pious VII.

INFORMATIVE NOTES
Address: Piazza del Colosseo
Zone: Colosseo - Piazza Venezia
Open: from 9 am to 1h before the sunset
Ticket: € 8,00
Phone: 0639967700

Roman Forum

The Roman Forum is located in a valley that is between the Palatine hill and the Capitoline hill. It originally was a marsh, but the Romans drained the area and turned it into a center of political and social activity.  The Forum was the marketplace of Rome and also the business district and civic center. It was expanded to include temples, a senate house and law courts. When the Roman Empire fell, the Forum became forgotten, buried and was used as a cattle pasture during the Middle Ages.
Much of the forum has been destroyed. Columns and stone blocks are all that remain of some temples. The arch of Titus and the arch of Septimius Severus still stand and are in good shape. Like many other ancient Roman buildings, stone blocks have been removed from the Forum and used to build nearby churches and palaces.

INFORMATIVE NOTES
Address: Via dei Fori Imperiali
Zone: Colosseo - Piazza Venezia
Open: from 9 am to 1h before the sunset
Ticket: Free
Phone: 0639967700

 

Tour Itinerary 2

San Giovanni in Laterano

It is the Rome's cathedral, founded by Constantine in the IV century. It was destroyed and reconstructed more times. The basilica's It is the Rome's cathedral actual shape dates back to the XII century.
In the course of centuries, several pontifices added spaces, decorations and works of art. An interior restoration was made by Borromini, according to Innocenzo X's will, on the Jubilee occasion in 1650. The basilica's imposing façade, made out of travertine, overlooks "Piazza di Porta San Giovanni" and was constructed in 1735 by Alessandro Galilei, a famous architect. Pio IX and Leone XIII had reconstruction and restoration works executed in its presbytery and apse by Virginio Vespignani.

INFORMATIVE NOTES
Address:
Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano
Zone: Termini - Esquilino
Open: 7am - 7pm [in winter until 6pm]
Ticket: Free
Phone: 0669886452

Link
http://www.abcroma.com/Monumento_i.asp?N=19

 

Santa Croce in Gerusalemme

After the edict of Milan which in 313 declared freedom of worship even to Christians, Rome became the new capital of Christianity. In order to give a special value to this decision relics of Mary, Christ and the Apostles were bought from Palestine. These interests gave life to a new commerce and as usual the market offered also many fakes. S. Croce in Gerusalemme became so the basilica of the relics. Here are kept soil from the Holy Sepulchre, fragments of the Holy Cross , two thorns from the Crown, the crosspiece from the cross of the penitent robber who was crucified beside Christ and many other venerated objects. The church was restored in 1144 by Lucius II. In 1743 by wish of the pope Benedetto XIV it was completed renewed by Gregorini and Passalacqua. It is one of the 7 churches which are jubilee destinations during the Holy Years.

INFORMATIVE NOTES
Address: Piazza di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme
Zone: Esquilino
Ticket: Free
Phone: 067014769
Open: 7 am – 7 pm

Link
http://www.activitaly.it/inglese/monument/scrocegerus.htm

 

Santa Maria Maggiore

The basilica was erected in the IV century but underwent many remaking in the course of the years. The building is characterized by different architectonic styles.
Placed in its homonymous square, its construction is due to a dream which Pope Liberio had the 5th of August 356 A.D., during the night: the Virgin invited him to build a church in the place where the following morning he would have found snow. The miracle came true because, the day after, it snowed on the place where the basilica is placed today.

INFORMATIVE NOTES
Address: Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore
Zone: Termini - Esquilino
Open: 7 am – 8 pm
Ticket: Free
Phone: 06483195

Link
http://www.abcroma.com/Monumento_i.asp?N=20

 

Tour itinerary 3

San Clemente, a Legendary Saint

The St. Clement frescoes in the fourth-century basilica lead us through another time warp, backwards once again to the church's first-century origins. The historical Pope St. Clement, to whom our church is dedicated, was the third successor of St. Peter in the See of Rome, and the author of a famous letter to the Corinthians (96 A.D.). According to legend, St. Clement was banished by Trajan (98-117) to the Crimean mines, where he converted so many soldiers and fellow prisoners that the Romans tied an anchor to his neck and threw him into the Black Sea. Rescued by angels and conveyed to an underwater tomb, the saint was revealed to believers once every year by a miraculous ebbing of the tides. A delightful fresco in the narthex of the fourth-century church shows how, on one of these occasions, a small child was whisked away by the waves, to be recovered safe and sound at the next year's ebbing.

INFORMATIVE NOTES
Address: Via di San Giovanni in Laterano
Zone:  Esquilino
Open: 9.00-12.30 and 15-18.30. Sunday opening from 10am. From October to March close at 6pm.
Ticket: Free
Phone: 0670451018

Link
http://www.romecity.it/Sanclemente.htm

 

San Pietro in vincoli

It has a very ancient origin but its actual shape dates back to the last years of the V century. In it you can admire the Mosè by Michelangelo which is a work of art, unique for its incomparable expressiveness and beauty.
The internal structure of this basilica is characterized by a double Doric colonnade. At the end of the right aisle you can admire the "Mausoleo di Giulio II", realized by Michelangelo, having in its middle the statue of Mosè which is a masterpiece of the Renaissance. The façade of this basilica is preceded by a porch with five arcades which rest on octagonal stone pillars.

INFORMATIVE NOTES
Address:
Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4
Zone: Colosseo - Piazza Venezia
Open: 7-12.30 and 15.30-18
Ticket: Free
Phone: 064882865

Link
http://www.abcroma.com/Monumento_i.asp?N=23

 

Mecenate Auditorium

The discovery of the Auditorium of Mecenate happened by chance when work was being done to open the new Via Merulana and the nearby Largo Leopardi (in an area previously occupied by the Villa Caetani). The apsed room that was brought to light formed part of a larger complex set astride the Severian Walls. This complex was immediately demolished.
The so-called auditorium, an apsed room 24.20 meters long, is divided into four parts: 1) a kind of vestibule to the southeast 13.20 meters by 5.70 meters; 2) the main room 10.50 meters by 13.20 meters; 3) the stepped exedra with a radius of 5.30 meters, and lastly; 4) a double access ramp to the southwest 2.27 meters wide.

Link
http://www.archeoroma.com/Esquilino/auditorium_di_mecenate.htm

 

Ipogeo degli aureli

The Ipogeo degli Aureli is one of the most important funerary complexes of imperial Rome at only 5 minutes from Aldebaran B&B. The lowest part is executed in tufa, while the area near the ground floor is composed of brickwork. The hypogeum is probably a third century A.D. structure. Located 200m from Porta Maggiore, the hypogeum was rediscovered in 1919. The lower part of the top floor, made of Severian bricks, still remains. Upon entering through the ancient portal, one can find two arcosoli in the walls and graves, dug in a subsequent period, in the floor. The more-damaged back wall has a scene of the original sin on the left, and the creation of the first man on the right; a city and four figures, probably the evangelists, are represented on the side walls. There are two cubicles downstairs; one is completely frescoed, with the name of the grave owners (the Aureli) written in the floor mosaics.

Link
http://www2.comune.roma.it/monumentiantichi/monumenti/ipoaurel.htm

 

CONTACTS
Tel. +39 06.77591099
Mobile +39 338.1703802
(from 9 am to 9.30 pm)

bbinfo@aldebaranholidays.com

Foro Romano e Fori Imperiali
Il Foro Romano posizionato su un terreno di origine paludosa ma in seguito prosciugato, e’ situato fra il Palatino e il Campidoglio (due dei sette colli di Roma), vide le sue prime costruzioni intorno al VII sec. a.C. quando venne dato l'avvio all'edificazione di edifici adibiti alla vita politica, giudiziaria, religiosa, commerciale e soprattutto sociale della città. Il recupero e restauro degli antichi edifici è stato avviato dal XVIII sec. E fino ad oggi continuano ad emergere nuovi reperti e resti di antiche costruzioni.
Links: www.archeoroma.com/foro_romano.htm- www.archeoroma.com/fori_imperiali.htm

Itinerario 2 - San Giovanni in Laterano
La più antica chiesa del mondo è la chiesa titolare del Vescovato di Roma. Fu fondata sotto il pontificato di Melchiade [311-314] sul luogo dove gli scavi hanno rinvenuto una domus del III e del I secolo d.C che nel secondo secolo fu sostituita dalla seconda caserma della guardia a cavallo dell’Imperatore. Sarà questo l’edificio ad essere tagliato, durante l’impero di Costantino, per costruire la nuova basilica, il cui schema riprendeva quello di San Pietro.
Apertura: 7-19 [in inverno fino alle 18]
Dove: Piazza San Giovanni in Laterano 4
Come arrivare: dalla fermata metro San Giovanni cinque minuti a piedi attraversando le mura

Santa Croce in Gerusalemme
La Basilica di S.Croce in Gerusalemme sorge alle pendici del colle Esquilino, in un'area ricca di storia e di valenze artistiche e culturali.
Antica necropoli e poi zona residenziale extra urbana di proprietà imperiale, nel III - IV sec. d.C. vi sorgeva un complesso costituito da un palatium detto Sessorium, dalle Terme Eleniane, dal Circo Variano e dall'Anfiteatro Castrense, inglobato nelle Mura Aureliane tra il 271 e il 275 d.C.
Una tradizione antica e largamente documentata attribuisce a Costantino e a sua madre Elena la costruzione della prima chiesa.
Denominata in origine Basilica Heleniana o Sessoriana, la chiesa del IV sec. sorse per custodire le Reliquie della Passione del Signore, ritrovate miracolosamente sul Calvario e portate a Roma dall'anziana madre dell'Imperatore.
Dove: Piazza Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, 12
Tel. 06.7014769
Come arrivare: dalla fermata metro San Giovanni [linea A] si attraversano gli archi. Da qui si percorre sulla destra per cinque minuti Via Carlo Felice che conduce alla chiesa.
Link:www.basilicasantacroce.it

Santa Maria Maggiore
La basilica venne fondata da Papa Liberio [352-366] sul luogo della miracolosa nevicata del 5 agosto 356 dopo aver avuto una visione di Maria. Da qui il nome di Basilica Liberiana e di Santa Maria ad Nives. Tuttavia sembra che la costruzione attuale non sia inferiore al pontificato di Sisto III°, [432-440] che la dedicò alla maternità divina di Maria, definita dal Concilio di Efeso del 431. Gli scavi effettuati dal 1966 al 1971 hanno fatto emergere comunque la presenza di resti di età augustea, adrianea e costantiniana. La basilica del V° secolo si presentava a tre navate, senza transetto, con nartece e copertura a capriate.
Apertura: dalle 7 alle 20
Dove: Piazza di S.Maria Maggiore
Come arrivare: dalla fermata metro di Termini si percorre Via Cavour per duecento metri fino a Largo Esquilino. La basilica è sulla sinistra, l’entrata sul lato opposto.
Link: www.romecity.it/Santamariamaggiore.htm

Itinerario 3 - San Clemente
La basilica è dedicata a Clemente, terzo pontefice della storia, [88-97 d.C] che secondo la leggenda dopo esser stato esiliato in Crimea fu gettato nel Mar Nero legato a un'ancora. La basilica originaria, costruita nel 385, fu distrutta nel 1084 dai Normanni. Fu riedificata nel 1108 da Pasquale II° sulle due chiese precedenti, che vennero riportate alla luce nel 1857. L'aspetto attuale della struttura fu conferito tra il 1713 e il 1719 da Carlo Stefano Fontana. Basilica Superiore: L'ingresso è formato da un protiro del XII° secolo che immette in un quadriportico con colonne ioniche. La facciata tardo-barocca è opera del Fontana mentre la pianta interna è a forma basilicale divisa in tre navate con absidi.
Apertura: 9-12.30 e 15-18.30. La domenica apertura alle 10
Da ottobre a marzo fino alle 18
Dove: Piazza San Clemente
Come arrivare: dalla fermata metro Colosseo [linea B] dieci minuti a piedi percorrendo Via San Giovanni In Laterano
Link: www.romecity.it/Sanclemente.htm

San Pietro in vincoli
La basilica è detta anche Eudossiana, in quanto venne fatta ricostruire per volere di Eudossia, minore moglie dell'imperatore Valentiniano III°. Secondo la tradizione Eudossia ricevette dalla madre le catene che tennero prigioniero S.Pietro in Gerusalemme per donarle a Leone Magno, che le accostò a quelle utilizzate per la prigionia di S.Pietro nel Carcere Mamertino: leggenda vuole che le catene appena si toccarono si fusero e diventarono tutt'una così nel 442 d.C s'iniziarono i lavori sulla presistente basilica, nata su una domus del III° secolo. Tra le modifiche volute da Sisto IV° nel 1475 è la facciata con portico a cinque arcate, progetto d'incerta attribuzione, forse di Baccio Pontelli o di Meo del Caprino.
Apertura: 7-12.30 e 15.30-18
Dove: Piazza S.Pietro in Vincoli 4a
Come arrivare: davanti alla fermata metro B Cavour la scalinata conduce a Via delle Sette Sale. Percorrendo la strada si raggiunge la chiesa.

Auditorium di Mecenate
L'edificio noto come Auditorio di Mecenate, nome dato nel  secolo scorso durante gli scavi, è quanto resta oggi di un  grande complesso residenziale, demolito poco dopo la scoperta, datato al seconda metà del 1 secolo a.C. che doveva  appartenere alla villa di Mecenate, ministro di Augusto.  La sua proprietà si trovava in quest'area dell'Esquilino dopo la sistemazione dell'antica necropoli esquilina, affidata proprio a Mecenate. Il ritrovamento di un tratto di conduttura con impresso il nome di M. Cornelio Frontone, che dalle fonti si è a conoscenza che doveva abitare vicino Mecenate e la tecnica edilizia utilizzata per la costruzione dell'edificio (opera reticolata di tufo di epoca tardo-repubblicana) vanno a confermare questa ipotesi.
Link: www.archeoroma.com/Esquilino/auditorium_di_mecenate.htm

Ipogeo degli Aureli
L'ipogeo degli Aureli è uno dei complessi funerari più importanti della Roma imperiale. La parte più bassa è scavata nel tufo, mentre nella zona più vicina al piano stradale la costruzione è in muratura. L'ipogeo, nella sua forma attuale, è databile, sulla base dei caratteri stilistici, al III sec. d.C.
Riscoperto nel 1919, sorge a 200 metri da Porta Maggiore, tra viale Manzoni e via Luzzatti. Del piano più alto, in laterizio severiano, resta la parte inferiore. Entrando dall'ingresso antico, a sinistra del quale è il cubicolo superiore, si notano sulle pareti due arcosoli, mentre nel pavimento sono scavate delle tombe a inumazione, più tarde.
Per visitare l'ipogeo situato precisamente in via Luzzatti 2, si deve effettuare una richiesta presso la Pontificia Commissione di Archeologia Sacra contattabile al seguente numero di telefono: 06 4465610.
Link: www2.comune.roma.it/sovraintendenza/albero/139/126/144/150/213/scheda.asp?a=612&b=216&c=400&d=401

 

Fori Imperiali
Rome by night
Photogallery